- Maestro our beautiful boy.
- Line Breeding Dogs … Why Dog Breeding Genetics Say Not To!
- Liver Shunt in Dogs – Inherited Miniature Schnauzer Health Problems
- Girl Dog Names and Boy Dog Names Perfect for Miniature Schnauzers.
- Great dog
- Guinness Turns One!
- Happiness is a Mini Schnauzer!
- Harley aka The Stink & Roxy Girl
- Herschel the Intelligent Schnauzer
- House Training A Dog: Dog Crate Training and Dog Potty Training
- Hula and Henry
- In memory of Dutch
- In Diet Supplement for Dog – How and Why To Make Your Own
- In Home Dog Training. Dog Training Techniques, Tips and Resources.
- Miniature Schnauzer Australia. THE Place for Miniature Schnauzers Info, Supplies
- Is a schnauzer ok in a unit?
- Isn’t he lovely?
- Jasper is a Cool Surfer Dude
- Katie the card
- Keira is 6 months old!
- Lala is Naughty and Nice :)
- Latest on Basil
- Lexie – The Cleverest Schnauzer Puppy
- Life With Markus
- Genetics of Dog Breeding
- Funny Dog Videos Starring the Miniature Schnauzer!
- Funny Puppies. Funny Miniature Schnauzer Puppy Videos!
- Gemma at 2 Years Old
- Funny Dog Video Set Starring the Cleverest Miniature Schnauzers
- Funny Dog Video Clip Gallery!
- Flurry Girl Talking
- Free Basic Dog Training Tips Online Free Dog Training Information
- Fletcher’s Journey
- Fletcher & Milly
- Black Miniature Schnauzer: When Black Miniature Schnauzers Ain’t Black!
- Bonnie Girly our best friend
- Boomer’s color
- Breeding Cycle Dog Facts. The Dog Breeding Heat Cycle.
- Canine Artificial Insemination: A Dog Breeding Problems Solution
- Canine Diabetes Symptoms, Types, Prevention and Treatment
- Cataracts in Dogs
- Chase the Kibble
- Chief and Scout
- Chilli is Hot Stuff!
- Confetti Schnauzer of America | Hotchkiss Colorado
- Contact Miniature-Schnauzer-Australia.com
- Daisy and Kelsey
- Dancing Dog Video Starring Nimble Mini Schnauzers!
- Delightful Little Peppa
- Dog Breed Selection. Choosing the Right Puppy for Your Situation.
- Dog Breeding Business. Dog Breeding Guide. Dog Breeding for Beginners
- Dog Breeding Contract – at Sale and at Stud.
- Dog Breeding for Profit – Dog Breeding Guide
- Dog Breeding Gestation and the Dog Breeding Process
- Dog Breeding Guide. Dog Breeding Questions for Beginners.
- Dog Breeding Information. Dog Breeding Guide for Beginners.
- Dog Breeding Video and Information on Breeding Dog Mating
- Dog Giving Birth – Graphic Educational Whelping DVD
- Which Dog Hair Clippers are Best?
- Dog Health Nutrition. Canine Nutrition the Natural Way.
- Dog Health Problems and Solutions in the Miniature Schnauzer
- Using Dog Nail Clippers for Trimming Dog Nails
- Dog Obedience Video. Dog Training Download Video and Book Sets.
- Dog Whelping Signs: How to Recognize the Signs of Whelping.
- Drinking Problem
- Ella the Cuddly Schnauzer
- Feeding Newborn Puppies
- Big Boy Basil
- Beautiful Basil!
- Barking Dog Video Starring Miniature Schnauzers!
- Bama loves to ride
- Albi Update
- Albi the Schnauzer puppy’s first days in his new home
- A Hairy Problem!
- BARF Diet vs Commercial Dog Health Nutrition. Who is Right?
- Best Dog Breeds and Worst Dog Breeds
- Be part of Progressive Retinal Atrophy Research!
- BARF Diet for Dogs – How to Make Your Own
- Male or Female Dog? How to Choose.
- Markus at 4 months old
- Matrix from New York, USA
- Meet Sienna
- Minature Schnauzer Lovers Forum
- Mini Schnauzer History: Origins of the Miniature Schnauzer Breed.
- Mini Schnauzer Breeders – Our Team of Purebred Puppy Parents.
- Mini Schnauzer Grooming Tips for Pets
- Mini Schnauzer Pictures. Past Litters Schnauzer Puppy Pictures.
- Mini Schnauzers Stories Forum
- Miniature Schnauzer Breed Info: The Miniature Schnauzer Personality.
- Miniature Schnauzer Breeder in Perth, WA, Australia
- Miniature Schnauzer Colors. The Parti and Chocolate Schnauzer.
- Miniature Schnauzer Photos
- Miniature Schnauzer Puppies for Sale: Perth, WA, Australia
- Miniature Schnauzers. Enter the Exciting World of Mini Schnauzer Dogs!
- Misty Grace Experiencing Life
- Monty – What a joy he is!
- MY BABY SCHNAUZER BOOBOO!!!
- My Mini Schnauzer Max looking very smart!
- My mini Schnauzer
- Natural Born Killer!
- Natural Flea Killer and Home Remedy for Fleas
- Newborn Puppy Care Guide
- Normal Behavior?
- Nutrition for Your Dog: Dangers of Commercial Dog Food Nutrition.
- Oscar and Indie Update
- Oscar and Indie!
- Our little girl “Ruby”
- Our Mini Schnauzer Betsie
- Own a Colour for your Doggie and save a Child’s Life
- Pancreatitis in Dogs. Schnauzer Health Problems: Canine Pancreatitis
- Pepper’s Puppy Graduation
- Cutest Pictures of Schnauzers.
- Pippa the poser
- Playful Connie the Schnauzer Pup
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy – Schnauzer Health Problems
- Red Salt & Pepper/ Liver & Tan Standard Schauzer!
- Rescue Schnauzer’s Mama
- RIP Our Cassie
- Ruby roooooooo!
- Salt and Pepper Miniature Schnauzer Colors Explained
- Schnauzer Personality Change
- Schnauzer skin issues
- Schnauzer Bumps. Information on Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome.
- Schnauzer Gifts. Shop for Schnauzer Items here
- Schnauzer Pictures. Miniature Schnauzer Photos. Pictures of Schnauzers.
- Mini Schnauzer Puppy Pictures of Schnauzers as Babies!
- Selective Dog Breeding Information and Dog Breeding Guide
- Should We Get a Friend for Sarge?
- Shy Sophie
- Sirk Vom Stricker
- Smart Little Sally
- Sophie & Marley
- Success! Treatment for Schnauzer Bumps
- Summertime Sienna
- Sweet Phebe the Schnauzer
- Talking Dog Video Set Starring Miniature Schnauzers
- Teacup Schnauzers
- The Flintstone Family
- Timing for Dog Breeding is so Important!
- Toy Miniature Schnauzers
- Toy Schnauzer, Teacup Schnauzers or Miniature Schnauzers? Size Matters!
- Update on Sienna
- What a Difference a Haircut Can Make!
- What Could be Better than Owning A Schnauzer? Owning TWO!
- What Could be Cuter than Me?
- What is BOOMER’s color?
- Whelping Puppies. How to Midwife a Dog Giving Birth.
- White Chocolate “Flurry” Sensation
- Black to White Miniature Schnauzer Colors and All In Between!
- The White Schnauzer: When White Miniature Schnauzers Ain’t White!
- Why is my Black Schnauzer Going Chocolatey/Reddish?
- Winston’s and Baxter’s Mom from Tennessee
- Xena- the mini shnauzer
- Yoda the Schnauzer is the Apple of Our Eye
- *WP Mobile Edition (Contact)
- *WP Mobile Edition (Blog Index)
Black Miniature Schnauzer: When Black Miniature Schnauzers Ain’t Black!
The Black Miniature Schnauzer:
When Black Miniature Schnauzers
The Black Miniature Schnauzer is strikingly dark as a puppy. However, many fade with age. And some aren’t black to begin with!
Confused? Then read on and I’ll try to explain it all to you!
What is a Black Mini Schnauzer?
Genetically, true Black Mini Schnauzers are “one color” dogs with a black (rather than brown) color base.
Black Schnauzer pupIn other words, their skin is black and because they are “one color” their coat is also black. The result is a black dog!
It may have a little white on its chest or toes, and though not desirable in the show ring, this is still acceptable in purebred registered Miniature Schnauzers.
So what’s complicated about that?
…Other Genes Get in the Way
Minis also often carry a gene for fading. This fading gene dictates how fast the fading will take place, exactly where on the dog the fading will occur and even what color the coat will fade to.
Father of the above pup,So your black puppy may fade to chocolate or grey anywhere on its body, slowly or rapidly… There’s really no way of telling until it happens!
showing fading on legs
…Other Colors Get in the Way
There is another gene that can influence the pigment intensity of a genetically one-color coat. So Black Miniature Schnauzers can be intensely black, or have a grey undercoat, or fade to grey.
Similarly, a Liver (one-color, brown-based) dog can be so intensely pigmented that it appears identical to a black dog!
Side by side, a black with a faded, almost chocolate coat would look identical to a very dark liver (sometimes called “chocolate”).
Is this a very dark Liver or a faded Black?Because some Schnauzers also carry genes that code for fading- either all over or just in specific places – dogs that are genetically the same one color can appear quite different at maturity.
It’s very easy to confuse the two! As a precaution, in Germany in the early days of the breed, you couldn’t register a Miniature Schnauzer as black unless both parents were black.
This is because breeding a black to a brown merely intensifies the darkness with which brown is expressed in the offspring, making it even harder to distinguish “true” Black Mini Schnauzers!
How Grooming Affects the Black Color
Black Miniature Schnauzers often have a grayish rather than black undercoat. When cut, (for example by machine clipping) this undercoat is exposed, resulting in a faded appearance.
The body area of show dogs is diligently stripped of its undercoat, resulting in a wiry coat in which the intensity of the black coloring is preserved.
However, in clippered areas, and the scissored leg furnishings, any grey undercoat will nevertheless be exposed. In this case the dog will appear black with light grey legs.