- Maestro our beautiful boy.
- Line Breeding Dogs … Why Dog Breeding Genetics Say Not To!
- Liver Shunt in Dogs – Inherited Miniature Schnauzer Health Problems
- Girl Dog Names and Boy Dog Names Perfect for Miniature Schnauzers.
- Great dog
- Guinness Turns One!
- Happiness is a Mini Schnauzer!
- Harley aka The Stink & Roxy Girl
- Herschel the Intelligent Schnauzer
- House Training A Dog: Dog Crate Training and Dog Potty Training
- Hula and Henry
- In memory of Dutch
- In Diet Supplement for Dog – How and Why To Make Your Own
- In Home Dog Training. Dog Training Techniques, Tips and Resources.
- Miniature Schnauzer Australia. THE Place for Miniature Schnauzers Info, Supplies
- Is a schnauzer ok in a unit?
- Isn’t he lovely?
- Jasper is a Cool Surfer Dude
- Katie the card
- Keira is 6 months old!
- Lala is Naughty and Nice :)
- Latest on Basil
- Lexie – The Cleverest Schnauzer Puppy
- Life With Markus
- Genetics of Dog Breeding
- Funny Dog Videos Starring the Miniature Schnauzer!
- Funny Puppies. Funny Miniature Schnauzer Puppy Videos!
- Gemma at 2 Years Old
- Funny Dog Video Set Starring the Cleverest Miniature Schnauzers
- Funny Dog Video Clip Gallery!
- Flurry Girl Talking
- Free Basic Dog Training Tips Online Free Dog Training Information
- Fletcher’s Journey
- Fletcher & Milly
- Black Miniature Schnauzer: When Black Miniature Schnauzers Ain’t Black!
- Bonnie Girly our best friend
- Boomer’s color
- Breeding Cycle Dog Facts. The Dog Breeding Heat Cycle.
- Canine Artificial Insemination: A Dog Breeding Problems Solution
- Canine Diabetes Symptoms, Types, Prevention and Treatment
- Cataracts in Dogs
- Chase the Kibble
- Chief and Scout
- Chilli is Hot Stuff!
- Confetti Schnauzer of America | Hotchkiss Colorado
- Contact Miniature-Schnauzer-Australia.com
- Daisy and Kelsey
- Dancing Dog Video Starring Nimble Mini Schnauzers!
- Delightful Little Peppa
- Dog Breed Selection. Choosing the Right Puppy for Your Situation.
- Dog Breeding Business. Dog Breeding Guide. Dog Breeding for Beginners
- Dog Breeding Contract – at Sale and at Stud.
- Dog Breeding for Profit – Dog Breeding Guide
- Dog Breeding Gestation and the Dog Breeding Process
- Dog Breeding Guide. Dog Breeding Questions for Beginners.
- Dog Breeding Information. Dog Breeding Guide for Beginners.
- Dog Breeding Video and Information on Breeding Dog Mating
- Dog Giving Birth – Graphic Educational Whelping DVD
- Which Dog Hair Clippers are Best?
- Dog Health Nutrition. Canine Nutrition the Natural Way.
- Dog Health Problems and Solutions in the Miniature Schnauzer
- Using Dog Nail Clippers for Trimming Dog Nails
- Dog Obedience Video. Dog Training Download Video and Book Sets.
- Dog Whelping Signs: How to Recognize the Signs of Whelping.
- Drinking Problem
- Ella the Cuddly Schnauzer
- Feeding Newborn Puppies
- Big Boy Basil
- Beautiful Basil!
- Barking Dog Video Starring Miniature Schnauzers!
- Bama loves to ride
- Albi Update
- Albi the Schnauzer puppy’s first days in his new home
- A Hairy Problem!
- BARF Diet vs Commercial Dog Health Nutrition. Who is Right?
- Best Dog Breeds and Worst Dog Breeds
- Be part of Progressive Retinal Atrophy Research!
- BARF Diet for Dogs – How to Make Your Own
- Male or Female Dog? How to Choose.
- Markus at 4 months old
- Matrix from New York, USA
- Meet Sienna
- Minature Schnauzer Lovers Forum
- Mini Schnauzer History: Origins of the Miniature Schnauzer Breed.
- Mini Schnauzer Breeders – Our Team of Purebred Puppy Parents.
- Mini Schnauzer Grooming Tips for Pets
- Mini Schnauzer Pictures. Past Litters Schnauzer Puppy Pictures.
- Mini Schnauzers Stories Forum
- Miniature Schnauzer Breed Info: The Miniature Schnauzer Personality.
- Miniature Schnauzer Breeder in Perth, WA, Australia
- Miniature Schnauzer Colors. The Parti and Chocolate Schnauzer.
- Miniature Schnauzer Photos
- Miniature Schnauzer Puppies for Sale: Perth, WA, Australia
- Miniature Schnauzers. Enter the Exciting World of Mini Schnauzer Dogs!
- Misty Grace Experiencing Life
- Monty – What a joy he is!
- MY BABY SCHNAUZER BOOBOO!!!
- My Mini Schnauzer Max looking very smart!
- My mini Schnauzer
- Natural Born Killer!
- Natural Flea Killer and Home Remedy for Fleas
- Newborn Puppy Care Guide
- Normal Behavior?
- Nutrition for Your Dog: Dangers of Commercial Dog Food Nutrition.
- Oscar and Indie Update
- Oscar and Indie!
- Our little girl “Ruby”
- Our Mini Schnauzer Betsie
- Own a Colour for your Doggie and save a Child’s Life
- Pancreatitis in Dogs. Schnauzer Health Problems: Canine Pancreatitis
- Pepper’s Puppy Graduation
- Cutest Pictures of Schnauzers.
- Pippa the poser
- Playful Connie the Schnauzer Pup
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy – Schnauzer Health Problems
- Red Salt & Pepper/ Liver & Tan Standard Schauzer!
- Rescue Schnauzer’s Mama
- RIP Our Cassie
- Ruby roooooooo!
- Salt and Pepper Miniature Schnauzer Colors Explained
- Schnauzer Personality Change
- Schnauzer skin issues
- Schnauzer Bumps. Information on Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome.
- Schnauzer Gifts. Shop for Schnauzer Items here
- Schnauzer Pictures. Miniature Schnauzer Photos. Pictures of Schnauzers.
- Mini Schnauzer Puppy Pictures of Schnauzers as Babies!
- Selective Dog Breeding Information and Dog Breeding Guide
- Should We Get a Friend for Sarge?
- Shy Sophie
- Sirk Vom Stricker
- Smart Little Sally
- Sophie & Marley
- Success! Treatment for Schnauzer Bumps
- Summertime Sienna
- Sweet Phebe the Schnauzer
- Talking Dog Video Set Starring Miniature Schnauzers
- Teacup Schnauzers
- The Flintstone Family
- Timing for Dog Breeding is so Important!
- Toy Miniature Schnauzers
- Toy Schnauzer, Teacup Schnauzers or Miniature Schnauzers? Size Matters!
- Update on Sienna
- What a Difference a Haircut Can Make!
- What Could be Better than Owning A Schnauzer? Owning TWO!
- What Could be Cuter than Me?
- What is BOOMER’s color?
- Whelping Puppies. How to Midwife a Dog Giving Birth.
- White Chocolate “Flurry” Sensation
- Black to White Miniature Schnauzer Colors and All In Between!
- The White Schnauzer: When White Miniature Schnauzers Ain’t White!
- Why is my Black Schnauzer Going Chocolatey/Reddish?
- Winston’s and Baxter’s Mom from Tennessee
- Xena- the mini shnauzer
- Yoda the Schnauzer is the Apple of Our Eye
- *WP Mobile Edition (Contact)
- *WP Mobile Edition (Blog Index)
Dog Breeding Video and Information on Breeding Dog Mating
Dog Breeding Video and Information
on Breeding Dog Mating
This is your guide to breeding dog mating.
We use dog breeding video to illustrate the normal dog mating behavior that is described in this dog breeding guide. The dog mating video clips depict various situations that can arise in breeding dog mating.
Assuming that you’ve learnt the ropes about dog breeding, have a proper contract with the owner of the stud dog you’ll be using, and have selected him with an eye to improving your breed , let’s get into it!
Breeding Dog Mating of Inexperienced Dogs
A virgin bitch will sometimes be skittish and difficult to mate. A virgin dog will often be unsure, unskilled, and definitely inexperienced!
It will greatly benefit the confidence and later performance of an inexperienced dog to be mated the first few times with an experienced bitch. It is advisable to therefore mate virgin animals to experienced animals.
Take the Bitch to the Dog
It is also wise to take the bitch to the dog rather than the other way around, as the confidence of the dog is the most important determinant of success.
First Steps to a Successful Mating
First be sure that your bitch is ready (i.e. in estrus) to mate.
Good practice is to lubricate her vagina with a NON-SPERMACIDAL jelly (from the chemist) beforehand to help the male a bit.
It is normal to expect a bit of playful courting behavior between the bitch and the dog before the serious business of mating gets underway.
From 5 to 15 minutes of uninterrupted play and interaction should be allowed without any interference (so long as they are not hurting each other of course).
At the start of this dog breeding video there is an obvious mismatch in size between a large bitch (who doesn’t show typical estrus behavior) and a much smaller dog.
However, towards the end of this dog mating video he meets a bitch more his own size.
She displays the exaggerated foreplay of the truly in estrus bitch – flagging her tail to the side, pushing her rump in his face, and standing still when he tries to mate.
Obviously a very experienced bitch, though poor “Winston” – the male dog in this dog breeding video – is a virgin and on this occasion misses his target…
In fact, play between the two dogs may occupy the whole of their first time together. This is fine. It is best to leave them to it, and watch how matters proceed from some discreet vantage point.
Between two experienced breeding dogs, much can be gleaned about the readiness of the bitch for mating by her response to the dog’s advances and the degree of his sexual interest in her.
In this dog breeding video, at first the bitch “Perla” is clearly not ready. Notice that she sits whenever the male “Nitro” attempts to mount her and generally avoids his advances.
However, in the second take she shows all the obvious signs of estrus and the two achieve a proper mating without help.
Dog Mating Video of a Successful Dog Breeding Tie
However, if the bitch or the dog is inexperienced, they may have trouble even if the bitch is physiologically ready to mate.
Sometimes a little help will be necessary. If someone discreetly holds the bitch so she doesn’t move around, a keen dog will often then be able to focus enough to complete the task.
This dog breeding video shows an assisted mating. Notice towards the end of the video that after the dog breeding tie is achieved, the male dog dismounts her so that they become locked in a back-to-back position.
This is completely normal. The bitch cries and complains a bit and needs a steadying hand and some reassurance. This also is a normal part of dog mating behavior, especially with inexperienced bitches.
Any significant size mismatch between the two can also be compensated for by lowering or raising the back end of the bitch by standing her in a shallow depression or on a small platform.
What’s Happening During the Dog Breeding Tie?
The penis of the dog contains a bone that allows it to penetrate the bitch’s vagina before the penis becomes erect.
Once it has penetrated, the penis then becomes engorged, including swelling at the base, which is known as the bulbus glandis, that then locks the two animals together for the duration of the mating in what is known as a dog breeding tie.
The tie or lock can last up to an hour but is usually 10 to 20 minutes long.
Breeding dog video of experienced breeding dogs locked in a dog breeding tie.
In this dog breeding video both dogs are used to breeding and remain calm and relaxed.
However, it is always advisable to supervise the mating so that the male dog’s reproductive parts aren’t inadvertently damaged by the two coupled dogs twisting or dragging each other about. Some bitches will struggle and need gentle but firm restraint and reassurance to keep them still and calm.
Don’t try to separate the dogs during the tie! It can injure either or both animals. After some time, they will part naturally.
What if They Don’t Tie?
Sometimes a dog will gain penetration but will not be able to achieve a “lock” with the bitch.
Since the fertile fraction of the ejaculate is produced in the first few minutes of the mating, simply holding him into position for this time will usually be enough for the mating to be fertile. This is known as a “slipped mating”.
Overcoming Dog Breeding Problems
In pedigree dogs, it is not uncommon for either the bitch or the dog to be unable to mate.
There can be many reasons including lack of libido in either, large difference in size, arthritis or hip problems, aggression, or the dogs may simply not like each other!
When love doesn’t take its natural course, there is always the option of artificial insemination – a simple procedure that you can easily learn to do yourself with a minimum of equipment.