- Maestro our beautiful boy.
- Line Breeding Dogs … Why Dog Breeding Genetics Say Not To!
- Liver Shunt in Dogs – Inherited Miniature Schnauzer Health Problems
- Girl Dog Names and Boy Dog Names Perfect for Miniature Schnauzers.
- Great dog
- Guinness Turns One!
- Happiness is a Mini Schnauzer!
- Harley aka The Stink & Roxy Girl
- Herschel the Intelligent Schnauzer
- House Training A Dog: Dog Crate Training and Dog Potty Training
- Hula and Henry
- In memory of Dutch
- In Diet Supplement for Dog – How and Why To Make Your Own
- In Home Dog Training. Dog Training Techniques, Tips and Resources.
- Miniature Schnauzer Australia. THE Place for Miniature Schnauzers Info, Supplies
- Is a schnauzer ok in a unit?
- Isn’t he lovely?
- Jasper is a Cool Surfer Dude
- Katie the card
- Keira is 6 months old!
- Lala is Naughty and Nice :)
- Latest on Basil
- Lexie – The Cleverest Schnauzer Puppy
- Life With Markus
- Genetics of Dog Breeding
- Funny Dog Videos Starring the Miniature Schnauzer!
- Funny Puppies. Funny Miniature Schnauzer Puppy Videos!
- Gemma at 2 Years Old
- Funny Dog Video Set Starring the Cleverest Miniature Schnauzers
- Funny Dog Video Clip Gallery!
- Flurry Girl Talking
- Free Basic Dog Training Tips Online Free Dog Training Information
- Fletcher’s Journey
- Fletcher & Milly
- Black Miniature Schnauzer: When Black Miniature Schnauzers Ain’t Black!
- Bonnie Girly our best friend
- Boomer’s color
- Breeding Cycle Dog Facts. The Dog Breeding Heat Cycle.
- Canine Artificial Insemination: A Dog Breeding Problems Solution
- Canine Diabetes Symptoms, Types, Prevention and Treatment
- Cataracts in Dogs
- Chase the Kibble
- Chief and Scout
- Chilli is Hot Stuff!
- Confetti Schnauzer of America | Hotchkiss Colorado
- Contact Miniature-Schnauzer-Australia.com
- Daisy and Kelsey
- Dancing Dog Video Starring Nimble Mini Schnauzers!
- Delightful Little Peppa
- Dog Breed Selection. Choosing the Right Puppy for Your Situation.
- Dog Breeding Business. Dog Breeding Guide. Dog Breeding for Beginners
- Dog Breeding Contract – at Sale and at Stud.
- Dog Breeding for Profit – Dog Breeding Guide
- Dog Breeding Gestation and the Dog Breeding Process
- Dog Breeding Guide. Dog Breeding Questions for Beginners.
- Dog Breeding Information. Dog Breeding Guide for Beginners.
- Dog Breeding Video and Information on Breeding Dog Mating
- Dog Giving Birth – Graphic Educational Whelping DVD
- Which Dog Hair Clippers are Best?
- Dog Health Nutrition. Canine Nutrition the Natural Way.
- Dog Health Problems and Solutions in the Miniature Schnauzer
- Using Dog Nail Clippers for Trimming Dog Nails
- Dog Obedience Video. Dog Training Download Video and Book Sets.
- Dog Whelping Signs: How to Recognize the Signs of Whelping.
- Drinking Problem
- Ella the Cuddly Schnauzer
- Feeding Newborn Puppies
- Big Boy Basil
- Beautiful Basil!
- Barking Dog Video Starring Miniature Schnauzers!
- Bama loves to ride
- Albi Update
- Albi the Schnauzer puppy’s first days in his new home
- A Hairy Problem!
- BARF Diet vs Commercial Dog Health Nutrition. Who is Right?
- Best Dog Breeds and Worst Dog Breeds
- Be part of Progressive Retinal Atrophy Research!
- BARF Diet for Dogs – How to Make Your Own
- Male or Female Dog? How to Choose.
- Markus at 4 months old
- Matrix from New York, USA
- Meet Sienna
- Minature Schnauzer Lovers Forum
- Mini Schnauzer History: Origins of the Miniature Schnauzer Breed.
- Mini Schnauzer Breeders – Our Team of Purebred Puppy Parents.
- Mini Schnauzer Grooming Tips for Pets
- Mini Schnauzer Pictures. Past Litters Schnauzer Puppy Pictures.
- Mini Schnauzers Stories Forum
- Miniature Schnauzer Breed Info: The Miniature Schnauzer Personality.
- Miniature Schnauzer Breeder in Perth, WA, Australia
- Miniature Schnauzer Colors. The Parti and Chocolate Schnauzer.
- Miniature Schnauzer Photos
- Miniature Schnauzer Puppies for Sale: Perth, WA, Australia
- Miniature Schnauzers. Enter the Exciting World of Mini Schnauzer Dogs!
- Misty Grace Experiencing Life
- Monty – What a joy he is!
- MY BABY SCHNAUZER BOOBOO!!!
- My Mini Schnauzer Max looking very smart!
- My mini Schnauzer
- Natural Born Killer!
- Natural Flea Killer and Home Remedy for Fleas
- Newborn Puppy Care Guide
- Normal Behavior?
- Nutrition for Your Dog: Dangers of Commercial Dog Food Nutrition.
- Oscar and Indie Update
- Oscar and Indie!
- Our little girl “Ruby”
- Our Mini Schnauzer Betsie
- Own a Colour for your Doggie and save a Child’s Life
- Pancreatitis in Dogs. Schnauzer Health Problems: Canine Pancreatitis
- Pepper’s Puppy Graduation
- Cutest Pictures of Schnauzers.
- Pippa the poser
- Playful Connie the Schnauzer Pup
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy – Schnauzer Health Problems
- Red Salt & Pepper/ Liver & Tan Standard Schauzer!
- Rescue Schnauzer’s Mama
- RIP Our Cassie
- Ruby roooooooo!
- Salt and Pepper Miniature Schnauzer Colors Explained
- Schnauzer Personality Change
- Schnauzer skin issues
- Schnauzer Bumps. Information on Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome.
- Schnauzer Gifts. Shop for Schnauzer Items here
- Schnauzer Pictures. Miniature Schnauzer Photos. Pictures of Schnauzers.
- Mini Schnauzer Puppy Pictures of Schnauzers as Babies!
- Selective Dog Breeding Information and Dog Breeding Guide
- Should We Get a Friend for Sarge?
- Shy Sophie
- Sirk Vom Stricker
- Smart Little Sally
- Sophie & Marley
- Success! Treatment for Schnauzer Bumps
- Summertime Sienna
- Sweet Phebe the Schnauzer
- Talking Dog Video Set Starring Miniature Schnauzers
- Teacup Schnauzers
- The Flintstone Family
- Timing for Dog Breeding is so Important!
- Toy Miniature Schnauzers
- Toy Schnauzer, Teacup Schnauzers or Miniature Schnauzers? Size Matters!
- Update on Sienna
- What a Difference a Haircut Can Make!
- What Could be Better than Owning A Schnauzer? Owning TWO!
- What Could be Cuter than Me?
- What is BOOMER’s color?
- Whelping Puppies. How to Midwife a Dog Giving Birth.
- White Chocolate “Flurry” Sensation
- Black to White Miniature Schnauzer Colors and All In Between!
- The White Schnauzer: When White Miniature Schnauzers Ain’t White!
- Why is my Black Schnauzer Going Chocolatey/Reddish?
- Winston’s and Baxter’s Mom from Tennessee
- Xena- the mini shnauzer
- Yoda the Schnauzer is the Apple of Our Eye
- *WP Mobile Edition (Contact)
- *WP Mobile Edition (Blog Index)
Schnauzer Bumps. Information on Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome.
Miniature Schnauzer Health Problems:
However, exactly how common it is I haven’t been able to determine… in 19 years of breeding Miniature Schnauzers I’m still waiting to see a single case!
What are Schnauzer Bumps?
Most Miniature Schnauzers have
great skin, like these two.
Thanks to Lee-Ann Richards of
Yorkston Miniature Schnauzers,
NSW Australia for the photo.
A comedone is a blackhead, so Schnauzer Comedone Sydrome is a doggy version of blackheads. What is a blackhead? Simply a plug of keratin and sebum (skin cells and oil) blocking the hair follicle.
These comedones characteristically appear on the dog’s back. They don’t usually cause any problems unless they become infected. Once infected they can become itchy and may even develop into deep pus-filled little abscesses or “bumps”. Not nice at all!
To make matters worse, once they appear they usually stay for the life of the dog.
Are Schnauzer Bumps Inherited?
Schnauzer bumps are suspected to be a hereditary problem in Miniature Schnauzers characterized by defective keratinization of the hair follicles in the middle of the back.
However, though it seems to be a genetic problem, this has not been proven.
Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome is often associated with problem Schnauzer skin such as flea bite or other allergies, and is also affected by the quality of the food that is fed.
I have certainly met a few Miniature Schnauzers with sensitive skin. And most of skin disorders can be avoided or controlled through sensible management and a good, natural diet. But more on that later…
How Are Schnauzer Bumps Treated?
While Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome cannot be completely eradicated, it is possible to control the condition to keep it from being a major problem for your dog.
And if your dog is only mildly affected, then no treatment is necessary.
However, if the bumps become infected (pus-filled) you will need to see your veterinarian for a 3 to 4 week course of antibiotics.
Using shampoos that breakdown the skin oils that plug the follicles is a recommended strategy. This should be done every fortnight at least. However, in between times you could dab the affected areas only.
Such shampoos contain antiseborrheic ingredients that can also be bought on their own as a gel or wash.
Common ones are benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, sulfur and tar. I have found “Pine Tarsol” (containing pine tar) very effective for most skin problems (including infection and irritation) in both my dogs and my family.
It also makes sense to go for the most natural ones you can find i.e. that are free of soap, chemicals, artificial colors and preservatives.
If they are not infected you could also try rubbing affected areas with astringents to dissolve the plugs. Recommended astringents are witch hazel the gentler option) and rubbing alcohol.
Clipping the hair over the affected areas and keeping it short can help in some cases. Combined with regular outside activity, this allows sunshine and air to the skin, which is said to improve the condition.
Control of Fleas
If your dog also has flea bite allergy (marked by hair loss on the tail end of the back) then controlling fleas can provide relief for comedones as well. And, since even a single flea can set off flea bite allergy, it must be strict flea control. Like with most allergies, diet also helps, so see below.
The classic skin nutrients are zinc, vitamin E, vitamin A and omega oils. So ensure your dog is getting sufficient quantities in their diet.
Supplementation may be necessary at first to bring body levels up to normal. Fish oil is a good source of omega fats – just add one capsule to the diet each day.
The diet I use was developed by a veterinarian who found that it reduced the incidence of many common canine problems, including fleabite allergy and food allergies.
Certainly, after 18 years of using this diet, problem schnauzer skin has never been an issue for me.